Happy Sunday! Today I wanted to share a baking recipe with you for a cake I baked for my flatmate's birthday last week. She loves both minstrels and popcorn, so I decided to take that as my inspiration for her cake and bake a Toffee Popcorn & Minstrels Vanilla Sponge Cake with Vanilla Butter Cream Icing. MmMmMmMmMmmmm. It was so so good. The vanilla sponge cake recipe is actually a BBC recipe (RIP BBC RECIPES). It is my go to recipe for whipping up a vanilla sponge and they always come out perfect and super moist, which is absolutely what you want. I cheated with the icing on this cake and bought it from the supermarket because I was tired after work and couldn't be bothered to make my own. Hey - at least I am honest haha...
225g soft butter
225g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
225g self raising flour
Splash of Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°/350F/Gas 4.
2. Grease two cake tins with butter and line with baking parchment if you have it (I never bother haha).
3. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until fluffy (if your butter is too hard, I always melt in the microwave a bit - makes life so much easier).
4. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
5. Fold in the flour and add a splash of milk - whisk until the batter is nice and smooth.
6. Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven when ready and remove from the tins to cool.
8. When the cake is cool, add your icing to sandwich the cakes together and then cover the rest of the cake in it. You can of course make your own butter icing but as I said before I cheated and used the Betty Crocker Vanilla Butter Cream, which is absolutely devine.
9. DECORATE - The best part. Decorate the cake with whatever you fancy, I used chocolate fingers around the edges, a packet of minstrels to top and finished by covering the cake with half a bag of toffee popcorn.
What do you think of this cake? Do you think you would try this recipe out?
Until Next Time, LRB x